Saturday, September 7, 2019

My Alzheimer's Journal #8

A friend asked me a few weeks ago what my symptoms where. He wanted to know how I suspected I had Alzheimer's before I went to the doctor. So I told him. When I'm standing at the kitchen counter fixing dinner and realize I need something from the refrigerator, I walk over to the fridge and open the door. Then I stare into the fridge trying to remember why I opened the door. When I'm in the bathroom getting ready for the day, it takes me forever because I'm constantly trying to remember if I'm standing at the sink because in need to apply deodorant, or shave, or brush my teeth. I often walk out without doing at least one of those. And when I wake up in the morning, I usually have no idea what day it and I have to look at my phone to see what the date is.

My friend, trying I think to console me, said, "But people our age often do those things." I responded, "You don't understand. I don't do those things often, I do them every damn time."

Enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment