Monday, September 2, 2019

My Alzheimer's Journal #6

Don't have time to write much this morning. But just wanted to say that several people have asked me if my diagnosis of Alzheimer's has shaken my faith. As a pastor, I can understand the question because I have ministered to people whose faith was indeed shaken by a medical diagnosis.

But way back when I was 38 and first learned I had Multiple Sclerosis I actually felt my faith strengthened, and the same has happened now with my Alzheimer's diagnosis. Maybe the following quote will help explain it: 

"Jesus came to bring good news to the poor; not to those who serve the poor! I think we can only truly experience the presence of God, meet Jesus, receive the good news, in and through our own poverty, because the kingdom of God belongs to the poor, the poor in spirit, the poor who are crying out for love." -- Jean Vanier, founder of the L'Arche communities.

I found this quote in today's reading in "Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals>" After the quote above was this prayer:

"Lord, even the seraphim and cherubim hide their faces in your presence as they declare your praise. Help us mere mortals to humbly dethrone ourselves and bow before you, that in our weakness we might know your good news and forever sing your glory. Amen." 

Though I do complain about my memory loss to my wife, I somehow feel closer to God than ever before. Even with my lousy voice, I still sing God's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment