Monday, August 26, 2019

My Alzheimer's #3

I'm pretty sure my hearing problem is making my Alzheimer's worse. We got back from our trip to see our grandson graduate from Army boot camp on Saturday and then yesterday hosted a welcome home party for him. We had 19 people in our little house and with so many people talking at the same time my hearing aids can't discriminate the words I want to hear from all the background noise. So I miss a lot of what is being said. And working hard at trying to understand what people are saying literally wears me out.

I have, however, discovered one good thing about Alzheimer's. When watching an Agatha Christie mystery I have seen once or twice before, the surprise ending is still a surprise.

One of my most aggravating symptoms is not being able to say a word that I want to say. A couple of times I've resorted to pantomiming the word. Connie almost always knows what I mean when I do that. Yesterday I was talking to Connie about our trip and I wanted to say our grandson's name, I know what his name is but I couldn't get the word out, so I saluted and since we had just come from his boot camp graduation, Connie knew I was talking about Zach.  Another thing I have noticed is that the word I can't get out is almost always a noun.

In a few minutes, Connie will drive me to church so that I can spend time with my Stephen Ministry care receiver. I'm still able to be a Stephen Minister because most of what that entails is just listening.

That's all for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment