Wednesday, September 18, 2019

My Alzheimer's Journal #12

Today is Connie's birthday. Truly, I don't know what I would do without her. I'm sure it must be discouraging to her to answer a question I've asked a few minutes or hours earlier but have forgotten I even asked the question, but less know what she told me. But she always answers cheerfully. And she reminds me that last year on this date she had knee replacement surgery and I waited on her hand and foot, often helping her out of bed to the bathroom, bringing her ice packs to reduce the swelling, etc.

I make breakfast every morning and dinner every night except when we have company, then Connie cooks. But preparing meals is getting harder for me. I forget to tell Connie things we're out of so when I go to cook I don't have the proper ingredients. Today I was going to make her pancakes and bacon for breakfast but we were out of bacon and sausage both. So I went to McDonald's. Thought I had made the coffee before I left so I didn't get any there, only to find out when I returned that I had forgotten to make it. And it is getting harder and harder for me to cook. I keep looking at the stove or countertop or refrigerator wondering why I there and what I'm supposed to do next.

This morning I'm going to spend time reading with two of our granddaughters, then Connie and I are going to lunch with some friends from church to celebrate Connie's B-day.  So it should be a fun day. I'm looking forward to it.

That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment