Friday, September 20, 2019

My Alzheimer's Journal #13

I don't know why I can write better than I can talk. Maybe because I have more time to think through what I want to say? Talking is hard because sometimes I can't get the words I want to say to come out.

Yesterday was a bad day. When I went to make dinner I could not find the butter or the coffee. I searched all over the fridge and the coffee cupboard to no avail. Finally, I told Connie I could not find them. She came in and found I had put the butter in the cupboard where we keep the bread and peanut butter and I have put the coffee in the pantry with the canned veggies. Several times in recent weeks when I went back into the kitchen to clean up after dinner, I found that I had forgotten to turn the burner off on the stovetop. And one time recently I found I had left a burner on when I went into the kitchen to turn out lights just before bedtime. Alzheimer's is downright dangerous. I told Connie she needed to survey the kitchen each night after I finished cleaning up.

Also yesterday, my brother treated us to lunch at a new restaurant to celebrate Connie's birthday.  The restaurant was so noisy I could not make out most of the conversation. My hearing aids don't do much good in large noisy crowds. Dealing with deafness and Alzheimer's at the same time is like a double whammy. When Connie asks me if I remembered something, I never know if I forgot because of the Alzheimer's or because I just didn't hear it the first time.

Well, enough complaining. It's a gorgeous day outside. A friend is coming over soon the do a Bible study with Connie and then we are going out to take food to a woman who just had a baby. After that, I think we talked about going to IKEA for our walk and lunch. 

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment